IASTM is a modern evolution to the Traditional Chinese Medicine technique called Gua Sha. IASTM is a technique that allows practitioners to locate and treat soft tissue dysfunctions. It essentially works by breaking down fascial restrictions and scar tissue. This happens by causing controlled microtrauma to the affected area which sets off a chain reaction starting with an inflammatory response and resulting in remodeling of the affected tissue structure.
Benefits of IASTM include:
- Decreased overall time of treatment
- Allows faster rehabilitation/recovery
- Decreases scar tissue and restrictions
- Resolves chronic conditions thought to be permanent
- Improved mobility
- Patients can continue to engage in everyday activities.
Common conditions treated with IASTM:
- Scars (surgical, traumatic)
- Ankle sprains
- Shin splints
- IT Band syndrome
- Muscle strains
- Myofascial pain and restrictions
- Plantar fasciitis
- Rotator cuff tendinitis
- Trigger finger
- Heel pain/achilles tendinitis
- Medial/lateral epicondylitis
At Bodyworks Physical Therapy, we incorporate IASTM with many of our customized treatment plans to help our patients find relief from their conditions!